Stay | Dine | Shop | Explore
From authentic Mexican taquerias to good, old fashioned steak and potatoes, Monte Vista has great dining options just a stone's throw from all the Crane Festival locations. Be sure to call or check individual businesses' websites for hours of operation and seasonal updates.
Alamosa has more than 50 restaurants and coffee houses to choose from, spanning fast food to fine dining. In our locally-based restaurants, it's not unusual to find the owner in the kitchen. Preparing time-tested recipes, often times handed down over generations, these hard-working locals want you to have the best experience possible.
Whether you're staying in South Fork or just looking to take a little day trip, you will find plenty of dining options from BBQ to Mexican and everything in between.
The tallest dunes in North America and a perfect excursion for a non-crane day.
In the shadow of the Great Sand Dunes, the area is home to waterfowl, shorebirds, songbirds, and raptors.
A 117-mile road trip through the mountains along the west side of the San Luis Valley.
A 129-mile driving tour that takes you to many San Luis Valley highlights.
Come and listen to the sounds of wildlife at Alamosa Refuge. This Refuge was set aside as a haven for migratory birds and other wildlife.
The setting sun highlights the cattails, making them glow. The tweets, chirps, quacks, and honks of many birds fill the air.
The purpose of the Baca National Wildlife Refuge is to restore, enhance, and maintain habitats for wildlife plans and fish species that are native to the San Luis Valley.
Self-guided tour of significant birding spots in the San Luis Valley.
- SLV Voices Calendar and Podcasts
- Birding Hotspots of South-Central Colorado by John J. Rawinski: Including the Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve and the Alamosa and Monte Vista National Wildlife Refuges. Description of 15 primary birding hotspots… (can be purchased at the festival)
- San Luis Valley Great Outdoors
- Rio Grande County Tourism
- Alamosa County Home Page
- The City of Monte Vista, Colorado
- SLV Junction: Community Bulletin Board
- Karval Community Alliance : Mountain Plover Festival in Colorado’s Eastern Plains. Annually near the end of April.