Lodging & Dining
Visit our Lodging & Dining page.
Information on Cranes
- Monte Vista NWR Spring Crane Viewing Guide: Learn about Sandhill Cranes, where and what time to view them during your visit.
- Colorado Crane Conservation Coalition: Fall Yampa Valley Crane Festival
- International Crane Foundation: The only place on Earth where you can see all 15 of the world’s crane species.
- Festival of the Cranes: Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge near Socorro, New Mexico — annually in November
- Crane Trust: dedicated to the protection and maintenance of critical habitat for Whooping Cranes, Sandhill Cranes and other migratory birds along the Big Bend Region of the Platte River Valley through sound science, habitat management, community outreach, and education. The Visitor’s center is near Alda, Nebraska. Special events during March and April.
- Nebraska Game and Parks Commission: Sandhill Cranes information
- Sandhill Cranes: Scientific research from the USGS
Resources in the San Luis Valley
- SLV Voices Calendar and Podcasts
- Alamosa National Wildlife Refuge
- Monte Vista National Wildlife Refuge
- Baca National Wildlife Refuge
- Birding Hotspots of South-Central Colorado by John J. Rawinski: Including the Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve and the Alamosa and Monte Vista National Wildlife Refuges. Description of 15 primary birding hotspots… (can be purchased at the festival)
- Colorado Birding Trail – Sandhill Crane – Self-guided tour of significant birding spots in the San Luis Valley
- San Luis Valley Great Outdoors
- Los Caminos Antiguos Scenic & Historic Byway: a 129-mile driving tour that takes you to many San Luis Valley highlights.
- Rio Grande County Tourism
- Alamosa County Home Page
- The City of Monte Vista, Colorado
- Great Sand Dunes National Park & Preserve: The tallest dunes in North America
- San Luis Lakes State Park: In the shadow of the Great Sand Dunes, the area is home to waterfowl, shorebirds, songbirds, and raptors.
- SLV Junction: Community Bulletin Board
- Silver Thread Scenic Byway: a 117-mile road trip through the mountains along the west side of the San Luis Valley
- Karval Community Alliance : Mountain Plover Festival in Colorado’s Eastern Plains. Annually near the end of April.